Sunday, April 10, 2011

Brilliant Bacon, Brilliant Butcher!

I already told you that I really like beef from the Calcott Hall Farm in Essex. The beef has an outstanding quality as it is locally sourced and hung for 21 days. I was very impressed by the quality and the flavour of the beef, so I decided to try bacon, which is also produced at Calcott Hall Farm. I expected a really tasty and good bacon, but my expectations were absolutely exceeded. The bacon melted in my mouth and I am struggling with finding words to describe this tremendous piece of meat.
brilliant bacon from essex
Brilliant Calcott Hall Bacon
Neil, who is the butcher at Calcott Hall Farm, has been a butcher for 13 years and as I wanted to know his secret,I went to Calcott Hall Farm and talked to him. He told me that he really loves his job and always strives to produce the best meat possible, which is achieved by one "secret". Neil told me that it was dry curing the bacon, because this ensures the best possible quality. When you buy his bacon, you won't find this annoying white residue, which appears if you use brine. Instead of using brine, Neil just coats the pork in a cure mixture containing mainly salt and then just leaving the pork for 2 weeks. He knows what he has to do to deliver the best bacon, and if you want to find out yourself, don't just try his beef but also his bacon, especially if you make scrambled eggs!

If you want to learn more about Calcott Hall Farm, you can click here to read my first post about this local producer!