Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Delicious Smoked Fish from Suffolk

Have you ever tried smoked fish from Suffolk? If not, you missed something in your life! My parents came to visit me and I wanted to show them how beautiful England and especially East England was. We made a trip to Suffolk and ended our trip in Orford, where we visited the nice small church and the beautiful castle. 
My mother wanted to eat fish, as she doesn't eat a lot of fish in Germany, so we decided to go the Butley Orford Oysterage restaurant which is located between the castle and the church and which offers local produce. I asked the waitress what would be the best fish they offer, and she told me i should try smoked fish. After I tried it, I couldn't believe my gustative nerve, can you imagine why?
tasty fish
Smoked Fish

The smoked fish I ate was incredible, the best fish i had ever eaten! I asked the waitress who was responsible for catching this delicious and fresh tasting fish, and she told me it was Pinney's of Orford, a local company which owns the restaurant and which produces fresh local food by catching fish from the North Sea with their own boats.
After she told me this, I wanted to know more about Pinney's of Orford and I did some research. I found out, that all their fish are salted or brined first, then hung in the smokehouse where they are finally flavoured and preserved by smoke. Trout, mackerel, sprats and  eels are hung for a few hours before being hot smoked (cooked over the open fire) while salmon is cured over a period of about 48 hours.
I can highly recommend Pinney's of Orford smoked fish, it tastes brilliant and has an outstanding quality!

If you want to visit, call or buy a product of this local producer, I have provided the address, the telephone number and e-mail-address below:

Orford Quay
Orford
Suffolk
Tel: 01394 450277 (restaurant)
01394 459183 (shop)